I’m going to say it…. having a new baby is HARD. Yes, it’s amazing, fun, beautiful, and a lot of other really good things. It really is. It’s also hard. Having twins is hard. I knew it’d be twice the feedings, twice the diapers, twice the laundry etc. and I was as ready as I could be for that. What I didn’t think about and wasn’t prepared for was not being able to always give my babies what they need. It’s simple, there are 2 of them and 1 of me. Sometimes they want the same thing at the same time and it doesn’t always work. They are still too little to feed at the same time – I’ve tried everything I can think of, every trick on Pinterest, and feeding them together just ends up with lots of spit up and lots more crying. Not to mention, my “big kids” are only 5 and 3. They are wonderfully independent but they are still young and need my help, time, and attention too. Sometimes the schedule just works out and I can do it all and be there for everyone and those days I really do feel like Supermom. Other times, my heart breaks as I feed one baby, have another screaming waiting for her turn, with 2 little kids watching just one more Paw Patrol while they wait for their lunch and to play with mom.
There is a lot more crying and fussing at this age then when they were newborns. And rocking 2 babies in the middle of crying fits isn’t easy! For the past 2 weeks I’ve really had to force myself not to wish away the time – yes it will be nice when they sleep through the night, yes it will be easier when they sit in high chairs and can eat at the same time, etc. But as I fill out Kindergarten registration forms for my son, I remember that babies grow up too fast. I need to cherish every time I rock my babies to sleep and let them sleep on my chest because soon this phase will be over. So while I navigate the challenges and enjoy the precious moments of having 6 week old twins, I’ve found a couple of great baby products that have been a huge help and as always I wanted to share.
1. Baby Bandana Bibs by The Good Baby – not only do these look super cute, but they work great for feeding time. My girls dribble and it’s so hard to clean the tiny folds of an infant’s neck, so these are perfect for keeping them dry during feedings.
2. Fisher-Price My Little Lamb Cradle ‘n Swing – this is actually one of the few products that I got with my son (now 5) that we are able to reuse for the twins. All 4 of my kids loved it. Every mom needs a minute to put the baby down. Like I said, with twins it’s hard to rock 2 babies at once, but I can put a fussy baby in the swng and it will calm her down. They take turns with mom and the swing – it’s a total lifesaver.
3. Gumdrop pacifiers by The First Years – I was actually part of the team that launched Gumdrop pacifiers in retail stores, so when it was time to try a pacifier I was of course drawn to them first. That said, I may be biased but Kate & Keira aren’t and they love them.
4. Fisher-Price Rock ’n Play™ Sleeper – the girls love these, they are super light and easy to move around the house or take with us, and I can rock one with my foot while holding/feeding another baby so these are working out great for us.
5. Baby Einstein Nautical Play Gym – Time is already flying by. The twins are smiling and interacting more and more everyday and it was time to get some infant toys out. This gym is super cute with the underwater theme, and they are so happy in there (for short periods of time before the crying starts again of course). There is a little starfish at the top that lights up and plays music and it totally captures their attention. (update: at 8 weeks the girls are starting to enjoy some time not being swaddled and are just starting to kick their feet and bat at toys so the gym is an even bigger hit now).
And let’s not forget about the big kids!! Andrew & Brooke have been so amazing since our world was rocked with 2 new babies. They are super helpful – you may have seen the “Good Job Jars” I made them that they have both already filled and are working towards their 2nd prizes. One of my best purchases for them was this pack of “100 Things to Do on a Trip” cards from Usborne Books. These perfect size cards have all kinds of pictures to draw, games to play, etc. and my kids have had hours of entertainment! You use dry erase markers and they wipe clean so the kids can do them over and over again. Perfect when I need them to be quiet so the babies can get to sleep and they will also be awesome for restaurants (I think we’ll be able to eat out again, someday, maybe?!), long trips in the car, waiting at the Dr office – anywhere!
So help a mom out – what products have you found that are total lifesavers?